Saturday, August 09, 2008

Night dives


Never would I have imagined myself sliding down a rope in the darkness exploring the depths where sharks and barracudas play...envisaging myself taking a leap into turbulent waters as my legs turned to jelly, trying not to trip on my bright yellow fins whilst balancing my heavy tank and weighty belt, the boat rocked violently as the waves splashed over the sides - clasping my spotlight and regulator I made bubbles into thin air, plunged into the sea and reappeared trying to kept my mouth sealed as I bobbed on the salty surface. Reunited with my brilliant buddy who'd been keeping a close eye on the air consumption from my needy or greedy lungs, having had to rescue me from a runaway Mary Poppins ascent when I 'accidently' pressed the blue button - was I really slightly narked (nitrogen narcosis hits at 30m mark) or did I have no respect for my desperate lungs???!!!
It was dark - and I mean darkdark! - as we covered our spotlights sparkly creatures announced their presence. Winding our way around corals in search of... I just followed the lead lights in an attempt not to get lost!!!
Yet again my panicked breath had consumed most of my air supply so I surfaced early only to find an even more challenging task await!!! How the hell were we to get back on a rocky vessel without smashing heads, bodies, and flashlights??? Eyes & mind boggled as I edged my way along the rope whilst being thrown back and forth...finally grasping the ladder then being thrust back into the water as soon as I realeased one hand in an attempt to loosen my sticky fins...the near-empty tank felt weightier than before, the arms reaching out from the deck more distant...ready to face fate??? Not a chance - this time a firm grip & onto the deck - safe at last!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home